Born and raised in San Francisco, Sarita Cannon began her musical journey at age ten when she started singing with the San Francisco Girls Chorus. During her eight years with the Girls Chorus, she sang in two productions with the San Francisco Opera and toured to Shanghai. Sarita continued performing while earning her A.B. in Literature at Harvard, where favorite roles included Susanna (Marriage of Figaro), Antonia (Tales of Hoffmann) and Belinda (Dido and Aeneas). Since returning to the Bay Area, she has sung with several groups, including Lamplighters Music Theater, Ray of Light Theatre, Oakland Opera Theater, Golden Gate Opera, and San Francisco Cabaret Opera. An avid fan of new music, Sarita has performed works by Mark Alburger, Mary Watkins, Alden Jenks, Hector Armienta, and John Bilotta. Recent operatic roles performed include Quark Sister #1 in Quantum Mechanic with Goat Hall Productions and Lucia in La Llorona with Opera Cultura. Sarita also performs regularly as a soloist with Oakland City Chorus. She recently sang Maria in West Side Story and Yum-Yum in The Mikado, both with North Bay Stage Company in Santa Rosa. She is Soprano Section Leader at All Souls Episcopal Parish in Berkeley and sings with the San Francisco Symphony Chorus.
OPERA & OPERETTA:
- Thalamus, Rosetta's Stone: Goat Hall Productions, August 2016
- Yum-Yum, The Mikado: North Bay Stage Company, July 2016
- Lucia, La Llorona: Opera Cultura, October 2014
- Quark Sister #1: Miss Up Down, Quantum Mechanic: Goat Hall Productions, July 2013
- Barbarina, Le Nozze di Figaro: San Francisco Opera on Tap, June 2013
- Despina, Cosi Fan Tutte: Berkeley Chamber Opera, November 2012
- Sylviane, The Merry Widow: Lyric Theatre of San Jose, October 2012
- Kate, The Yeomen of the Guard: Lamplighters Music Theatre, January 2011
- John Brown, John Brown's Truth: Mimesis Productions, December 2010
- Novice, Suor Angelica: Emerald City Opera Artist Institute, August 2010
- Servant II/Eliphaz the Temanite, Job: A Masque: Goat Hall Productions, June 2010
- Victoria Gray, Dark River: Oakland Opera Theater, May 2008
- Margarita Ida and Helena Annabel, Doctor Faustus Lights the Lights: City College of San Francisco, October 2008
- Studio Singer, Queenie Pie: Oakland Opera Theater, May 2008
- Follower, White Darkness: Oakland Opera Theater, May 2005
- Sacharissa, Princess Ida: Lamplighters Music Theatre, February 2002
- Belinda, Dido and Aeneas: Harvard University, November 1997
- Antonia, Tales of Hoffmann: Harvard University, February 1997
- Susanna, The Marriage of Figaro, Harvard University, February 1996
MUSICAL THEATRE & THEATRE:
- Priest, Jesus Christ Superstar: Ray of Light Theatre, May-June 2018
- Maria, West Side Story: North Bay Stage Company, July 2015
- Actress, Letter from Linda: Goat Hall Productions, June 2010
- Penny, Honk!: Ray of Light Theatre, January 2005
- Rapunzel, Into the Woods: Hoochi-Doo Productions, May 2004
- Miss L'Arriere, The Solid Gold Cadillac: Willows Theatre Company, January 2004
- Soprano Soloist, Mendelssohn Psalm 42: Oakland City Chorus, May 2016.
- Soprano 1 Soloist, Beethoven Choral Fantasy: Oakland City Chorus, May 2015.
- Soprano I Soloist, Bach Magnificat: Oakland City Chorus, December 2014.
- Soprano Soloist, Poulenc Gloria: Oakland City Chorus, May 2014.
- Soprano Soloist, Handel Messiah: Solano Chamber Society, December 2013.
- Soprano Soloist, Britten A Ceremony of Carols: All Souls Episcopal Church, December 2011.
- Soprano Soloist, Mozart Requiem: Harvard University, December 1997.
- Soprano Soloist, Handel Messiah: Harvard University, December 1997.
- Soprano Soloist, Britten Te Deum and Rejoice in the Lamb: St. Paul's Parish Choir, December 1996.
- Handel, Mendelssohn, and Mozart: Red Poppy Art House Concert with Yumi Tomsha, February 2014.
- Weill, Bernstein, Previn: Opera in the Nave at St. Michael's and All Angels Episcopal Church, September 2014.
- John Bilotta: 12th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music with Divisa Ensemble, July 2014.
- John Bilotta: National Association of Composers/USA (San Francisco Chapter) with Divisa Ensemble, February 2014.
- Copland, Mozart: San Francisco Opera on Tap, November 2013.
- Barber, Schoenberg: The Opus Project: Opus 10, October 2013.
- Mark Alburger, Harry Bernstein: The Opus Project: Opus 8, August 2013.
- Mark Alburger, Shostakovich: The Opus Project: Opus 2, April 2013.
- Fauré, Strauss, Weill: Vocal Studio of Victoria Rapanan, December 2011.
- Handel, Purcell: Vocal Studio of Victoria Rapanan, May 2011.
- Chausson, Fauré: SFBAC National Association for Teachers of Singing, January 2011.
- Chausson, Kern, Mozart: Vocal Stdio of Victoria Rapanan, December 2010.
- Copland, Mozart: Botanic Gardens in Steamboat Springs, CO, August 20190.
- Bellini, Debussy, Fauré, Purcell: SFBAC National Asosocation for Teachers of Singing, May 2010.
- Handel, Copland: SFBAC National Association for Teachers of Singing, October 2009.
- Debussy, Fauré: Multnomah Public Library in Portland, OR: July 2005
- Hahn, Marcello, Mozart, Hahn: City of College of San Francisco, February 2001.
- Brahms: Arts First Festival at Harvard University, May 1998.
- Mendelssohn, Chamber Music 180 at Harvard University, May 1998.
- Schoenberg, Chamber Music 180 at Harvard University, December 1997.
- Brahms, Marcello, Mozart, Poulenc, Purcell: Arts First Festival at Harvard University, May 1997.
- Emerald City Opera Artist Institute: Steamboat Springs, Colorado, August 2010.
- San Francisco Early Music Society, Baroque Workshop: Rohnert Park, California, June 2009.
- Bel Canto Northwest Vocal Institute: Portland, Oregon, June 2005.
- Blanche Thebom’s Opera Arts Training Program: San Francisco, June 1992.
- University of California, Berkeley: Ph.D. in English. May 2005.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA: A.B. magna cum laude in Literature. June 1998.
2nd Place, Art Song Division, SFBAC National Association for Teachers of Singing Competition. April 2011
Crimson and Lace: Modern Works for Voice. Parma Recordings. 2015.
CONDUCTORS: Baker Peeples, Monroe Kanouse, Kevin Reid, Deirdre McClure, Nicholas Carthy, Michael Shahani, Paul Zawilski, Jonathan Khuner, Thomas Shoebotham, Temirzhan Yerzhanov, Les Pfutzenreuter, Mark Alburger
DIRECTORS: Christopher Walkey, Barbara Heroux, Jane Hammett, John Fisher, Richard Elliott, Sean Bernardo, Eli Newsom, Michael Mohammed, Pamela Hunter, David Parr, Harriet March Page, Keturah Stickann, Mary Elizabeth Enman, John De Gaetano